[back to top]

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #17186 | 2015-11-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

you are a raincloud!

my wife and I made this together.

P#17184 2015-11-29 13:09 ( Edited 2015-12-12 19:44)

Cart #51509 | 2018-04-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Standard 9/6 Jacks or Better video poker

Controls should hopefully be straightforward (directional buttons and primary action button, e.g. Z), with the following notes:
-Press up to scroll up to the pay table above the play area.
-Secret quick-draw feature: After holding, you may press the secondary action button (e.g. X) to instantly "draw"

Note: This game makes use of audio/video synchronization (particularly in the intro) that seems to not work very well on the web version (on my computer at least; maybe you will have better results) and it looks/sounds way better if you run it in the native PICO-8 client.

Good luck :)

EDIT 2015-06-11: Updated for PICO-8 0.1.1 compatibility
EDIT 2017-06-16: Fixed coin-count display bug, adjusted several sfx volumes to avoid distortion
EDIT 2018-04-10: Added support for some things that did not exist in PICO-8 when I first made this: saving to cartdata (and "cash out" menu option to reset), button glyph on title screen

P#10912 2015-05-24 21:38 ( Edited 2018-04-11 06:13)

One of the things I love about PICO-8 is the flexibility of input devices; I love that a keyboard is just emulating a virtual controller that has only 4 directional buttons and two other buttons, and that I can use any controller I want (thanks largely to SDL2). That combined with the cross-platformness makes the whole thing feel very inclusive and welcoming.

However, this presents a problem for in-game button prompts or manual text: what should the buttons be called? The directional buttons are pretty standard, but it's the other two buttons that present the biggest issue.

Depending on the input device, the two non-directional buttons could be called lots of different things:
KeyboardZ/X or N/M
Xbox 360 controllerA/B
PlayStation controllercross/circle
etc.etc.
I see most people so far seem to refer to them as Z/X but that is sometimes confusing when I am using my fake USB NES controller, for example :) Also I would imagine it might be confusing for people with non-qwerty keyboard layouts (I'm not actually sure because I've only ever used US qwerty keyboards). And of course all of this also applies to player 2's controls.

Obviously it's not a huge deal to translate in your head or just figure it out with trial and error (since it's only two buttons) but it just seems like there could be a better naming convention that doesn't give implicit priority to keyboard (and a specific layout at that), and I hadn't heard anyone bring up this issue already, so I thought it might be something worth discussing.

Perhaps a name like "primary button" and "secondary button" might work? I'm curious to hear others' thoughts. (zep, I imagine this may be something you have thought about at some point?)

P#10807 2015-05-20 12:47 ( Edited 2016-12-03 06:38)

Because PICO-8's Lua has no standard library, there is no way to get the length of a string, which means there is no way to (dynamically) center (an arbitrary string of) text when printing (unless I'm missing something :)

It would be nice to have either a len() function to get a string's length, or a way to ask print() to center text.

P#10746 2015-05-17 15:43 ( Edited 2015-05-19 01:07)